HTTP Anti-Virus Proxy

Official HAVP Support Forum
Registration disabled, I'm tired of spambots. E-mail havp@hege.li if you have questions.
HAVP project is pretty much frozen/abandoned at this time anyway.
It is currently 22 Jun 2014 09:52

All times are UTC + 2 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Solution for My Problem
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007 20:18 

With the help of the developer and a little bit of sleuthing, I actually have mine running. As mentioned earlier, my problem was caused by clients sending requests to URL's that were not present or responding. Apparently the timeout value for this is rather high (my opinion) and so each time it happened, it would cause another child to start due to the large number of such requests I was getting. I tracked the problem down to the ISUSP.exe running on those clients. When I stopped that file from starting via the registry and then killed the process, the requests went away. The file does some kind of updating for Macrovision software.

If you see the same thing happening, it could be you have the same problem, or something similar. Another option is to simply block the URL in HAVP. That worked for me as well, but I wanted to actually stop it from happening so I went to the source.

During the course of all this, the developer mentioned that there are actually some timeout values that can be set at compile time in the default.h.in file. I am thinking of lowering these timeout values a bit to see if I can stop this from happening in the future should this same thing happen with other URLs, but I have not yet done so. Some of the values are set at 60 seconds and some are set to 120 seconds. I am wondering if that is a bit high? I would be curious to know if anyone has already lowered these with any luck?

I hope someone finds this info useful and thanks again to the developer for the assistance and the great software!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007 20:30 

samueldg wrote:
hege wrote:
So it seems 62.178.230.210 is unreachable. Though if it's only one client connecting there, is shouldn't eat all processes. You might want to stop it reaching from HAVP anyway.

Also are you sure you have atleast same MaxThreads in clamd.conf as MAXSERVERS?

I'll try some days with MaxThreads=MAXSERVERS parameter and say here what is the result.

Thanks

Appears to be working for now with this configuration. No users call to me about the problem.

PostPosted: 18 Dec 2007 22:06 
HAVP Developer

trckh wrote:
Some of the values are set at 60 seconds and some are set to 120 seconds. I am wondering if that is a bit high? I would be curious to know if anyone has already lowered these with any luck?

Actually Squid has even higher default timeouts. But I guess that's just to be safe.

The problem with HAVP is that child is reserved even when trying to connect. It could be fixed by more intelligent handling (only start scanning after data is received), but I don't have time to implement this. I don't think it's a large problem anyway.